What is the difference between Ping Pong and Table Tennis? Ping pong and table tennis are two popular sports that are often confused with one another. While both sports involve hitting a small ball back and forth across a net, the two have several key differences. Perhaps the most obvious difference is the size of the playing surface; ping pong is played on a smaller table than table tennis.
The difference between Ping Pong and Table Tennis
Here are some of the most recognizable differences between Ping Pong and Table Tennis. Let’s find out now.
|Evaluation criteria||Table Tennis||Ping Pong|
|Amount of Spin||Very high||Little|
|Speed||Very high||Medium Slow|
|Type of service||Many||Little|
|Types of paddles||Yes||Same Paddle|
|Points||21 then 11 (now)||15|
|Olympics Sport||Yes||No. See more.|
|Grand Slam players||5||0|
|World Championship||2 years/times||1 year/times|
In addition to the parameters in the table, let’s find the differences between Ping Pong and Table Tennis.
1. Game Rules
A game of Ping Pong is typically played to 15 points, while a game of table tennis is played to 21 points or 11 points.
In Ping Pong, players can serve anyway they like, while in table tennis there are specific rules for serving (the ball must be tossed up at least 6 inches and hit behind the end line).
In Ping Pong, the ball can bounce more than once before it is hit by the other player; in table tennis, the ball can only bounce once before it must be hit.
>> See more: [Update] Ping pong scoring rules newest #2022
2. Paddle Sizes
Ping-pong paddles are smaller than table tennis paddles.
The size of a ping pong paddle is typically 6 inches long and 3 inches wide, while the size of a table tennis paddle is 9 inches long and 5 inches wide.
3. Ball Sizes
- Ping-pong balls are lighter than table tennis balls.
- The weight of a ping pong ball is 2.7 grams, while the weight of a table tennis ball is 4 grams.
4. Table Sizes
- Ping pong is played on a smaller table than table tennis.
- The size of a ping pong table is 9 feet long and 5 feet wide, while the size of a table tennis table is 9 feet long and 5 feet wide.
5. Net Sizes
- The net in ping pong is lower than the net in table tennis.
- The height of the net in ping pong is 6 inches, while the height of the net in table tennis is 6 inches.
6. Number of Players
Ping pong and Table Tennis can be played with two or four players.
7. Playing Surface
In ping pong, the playing surface is typically made of wood, while in table tennis the playing surface is typically made of concrete.
In ping pong, players do not have to wear special shoes; in table tennis, players must wear shoes with non-marking soles.
Ping-pong tables are typically less expensive than table tennis tables.
10. Competitive Setting
Ping pong is typically played for fun, while table tennis is often played in a competitive setting.
Whether you’re looking for a game to play with family and friends or you’re seeking a more competitive experience, ping pong and table tennis can both be great options. Just be sure to choose the right sport for you based on your skill level and desired level of competition.
Major Ping Pong tournaments
The difference between ping pong and table tennis is the governing body and the international tournaments.
Ping-pong or Table tennis tournaments are not typically organized by the same bodies. The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) is the main international table tennis organization.
- The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) is the main international table tennis organization.
- The Ping Pong League (PPL) is a North American-based organization that hosts tournaments ping pong (World Championships of Ping Pong) in the US and Canada.
Major Table Tennis tournaments
These are some of the most popular table tennis tournaments in the world people compete in. If you’re interested in playing competitively, be sure to research the different tournaments and see which ones you would be eligible for. There is also a professional table tennis tour that players can compete in.
Major table tennis tournaments in the world are:
- The World Table Tennis Championships
- The Olympic Games
- The Continental Championships
- The Asian Table Tennis Championships
- The Chinese National Table Tennis Championships
- The Japanese National Table Tennis Championships
- The US Open Table Tennis Championships
- The European Table Tennis Championships
- The Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships
- The African Table Tennis Championships.
In conclusion, there are many differences between ping pong and table tennis. The biggest difference is in the rules of the game. Some of the key differences include the size of the ball, the size of the table, the net height, the number of players, the playing surface, and the shoes worn by players. Both sports can be enjoyed recreationally or competitively, but it’s important to choose the right one for you based on your skill level and desired level of competition. If you’re interested in playing in tournaments, be sure to research the different options available to you. Whatever you choose, ping pong and table tennis can both be fun and rewarding experiences.
Thanks for reading!